Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sparkle N Sprinkle March Blog Hop


Hello and welcome to Sparkle N Sprinkle's Flower Child Blog Hop. We're celebrating children, flowers, and life renewed.

If you're here by way of the Angie Blasingame, then you're in the right place. If not, and you'd like to become eligible for one of 2 grand prizes and 3 random prizes, please start on the Sparkle N Sprinkle Blog Home page and be sure to leave a comment on each and every blog.

I lived on the island of O'ahu, Hawai'i for about six years a long time ago. I remember the beautiful tropical flowers that grow wild and in abundance. So, with those fond memories, I chose to do flowers, in particular, hibiscus, sometimes referred to as a swamp rose.

Hibiscus grow wild in Hawai'i. These flowers have no smell, but a bush or tree in bloom is a stunning sight. I've seen hibiscus flowers that measured 8 - 10 inches across. (Plumeria is the flower that has a strong, sweet scent, and what lei's are made of.)

The Swamp Rose 1194-270J, and Life is in the little things 1127-270BA, are from Floral Swamp Rose Stamp Set 270.  The Woody Convertible 3596-456E, is from the recently released Surfin' Woody Stamp Set 456.       Instructions to make.


As a tall shrub, hibiscus can grow to be more than 10 feet tall.  As a mature small tree, they can top out at 15-30 feet in height. Both have approximately a 5 foot spread.

Instructions to make.


Vase of Poppies 0710-207H will surely brighten any one's day.

Instructions to make.








The Vase of Poppies 0710-207H, is combined with Sweet Briar Frame 1163-270P from Floral Swamp Rose Stamp Set 270. To me, this has a kind of 1960's, early 70's flavor to it.
Instructions to make.



Fun fact: The Hawai'an alphabet has only 16 letters.

Stamp Swamp Rose 1194-270J on old map of the Hawai'ian Islands (free graphic from the internet). Stamp rose again on scrap paper and fussy cut around it. Mask first stamped flower and stamp again. Using Copics, lay a base color of Cadmium Yellow on petals, and Spring Dim Green on leaves. Go over the petals again with Cadmium Red, leaving streaks of the yellow showing. Now using PrismaColor pencils, add highlights to petals and leaves. Blend out with OMS.

Your blog hop hostesses are:

There's still time to enter Sparkle N Sprinkle's monthly Sketch Challenge, and there are prizes!

March Specials are Flowers – Children – Spanish and Artist Tom Jones
Mahalo (thank you in Hawai'an).  Please leave a comment on my blog so I know you were here.

Next, visit with Shona

u_3c2431be

45 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous bunch of bloomers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards are so beautiful. Now I want to go to Hawaii. My fav is the last one and thanks for all the fun facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the woody and the hibiscus card! However, all of the other floral cards are so great too! How fun to place the hibiscus over Hawaii too! Love how you added the vase to the frame! Clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful cards, Karalee! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many cards to consider!.....my favorites are the 2nd hibiscus card - love how the clean design draws attention to the beautiful flower. And I really like the last one - the flowers look great over top of the map & the flowers are so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are so beautiful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite is the vase of poppies inside the frame! Just lovely, though it was hard to choose with all the options!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your coloring of all the flowers just brings them to life! Just stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You went hibiscus crazy:) I love the way you masked and stamped more than one...really makes it bold...they are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Karin, Yor coloring of the flowers makes them pop. Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the idea of using a post card on a card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your talented coloring really brings life to these cards-just beautiful! The convertible is the perfect addition to your first card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were very inspired by flowers! It is hard to choose one card, they are all beautiful. I particularly like the embossing under the first one. So subtle... And of course, the coloring on all of them. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm swooning over your color selection. I must be in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The colors you used for the flowers are beautiful. They look real

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your flower cards all just "wow" me. They are so bright and beautifully colored. It makes one feel like they are already in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all of your cards and the coloring is beautiful! I think my fav is the first card although it is very hard to pick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful garden of flowers.

    Youngdolphin@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my. What a great tribute to your former residence. The hibuscus are all awesome, in the diffferent settings. I cannot pick just one for my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow how beautiful your Cards are you have done an Awesome job. love the colors and the papers love the embossing. the blening of your colors are perfect. thanks for sharing.
    abbraddock@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, what gorgeous hibiscus stamps, Karalee! All your cards are wonderful but I dearly love the hibiscus. That set has to come and live at my house! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all these cards, they have great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karalee, love love LOVE what you have done with these flowers. The backgrounds are just perfect, and the colors, beautiful! Wonderful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love them, love them, love them. Hibiscus is such a beautiful flower.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Hibiscus and your card designs are wonderful. I expecially like the addition of the woody and surfboards. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow!! What wonderful cards. You have been very busy and super creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These cards are gorgeous! Great job. Really love the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Look at all of these cards! They are all so awesome. I love love love that hibiscus flower stamp!! So versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the hibiscus flower, I also lived in Hawaii many, many years ago and remember this flower. Very colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great colorist you are. I love all the flowers

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really like your cards, especially the first & last ones. The first is so wonderfully colorful. On the last I like how you colored & popped up the flower. I also like how you incorporated the map of Hawaii as the background.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Karalee, these are so beautiful! The first one is my favorite. The woody with surfboards makes it so fun and playful. I really like the way the glitter sets off the centers of the flowers.
    Lesa.Turner@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really love your colorful first card. I like your use of the map of Hawaii on your last card.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! You have many wonderful cards. Love the 3-D dimension feel of the first card. The background map of Hawaii for the last card is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  35. your hibiscus flowers are beautiful!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your colors and cards are great. THANK YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You outdid yourself with all those beautiful flower cards. Your coloring is great!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh- these are breathtaking!!! You did such a great job in coloring all the cards. I can't pick a favorite one; because, I love them all. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What an outstanding array of flowers! You are such a fine job in bringing these flowers to life. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I don't think I can pick a favorite! They're all gorgeous! The map of Hawaii with the flower is very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  41. All of your creations are fabulous,specially the first one is unique.



    plastic cards
    plastic card printing
    scratch cards printing

    ReplyDelete
  42. All of those hibiscus flower cards are so pretty! But the Swamp Rose is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your sincere comments are always appreciated.